Come join our team at Jefferson Lab, where great minds matter.
Re-Posting Date: 04/13/2023
Salary Range: $110,300 - $174,200 (SE-III)
Work Location Type: Hybrid (combination of on-site and remote work based on business needs)
What your job will be like:
The Construction Manager assists in the execution of infrastructure construction projects serving as construction project manager for major capital projects. This position is responsible for supporting the development and construction execution of capital project consisting of renovation and/or new construction that includes oversight of the project construction execution, resolution of technical issues, beneficial occupancy, and construction closeout. Position will fulfill the function of a Control Account Manager for the construction phase of capital projects.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with Jefferson Lab and customer stakeholders to assist in the definition of project objectives, requirements, and key performance parameters.
- Safely assist in the achievement of project requirements on time and on budget including DOE Notable Outcomes, milestones, performance and technical requirements, and key performance parameters.
- Be responsible for execution of project scope within cost and schedule at the defined quality level meeting DOE safety standards from project assignment through project completion.
- Manage construction site safety.
- Review and approves construction safety plans and activity hazard analysis. Coordinates with subject matter experts as required on the safe execution of the work.
- Assist in the acquisition, procurement and management of resource and service requirements.
- Provide interpretation of technical drawings and documents, and assists in the management of reviews for such things as: submittals, requests for information (RFIs), and change orders.
- Assist in the management of all aspects of project execution including safety, risk, scope, cost and schedule and change control.
- Maintain project execution plan to define current project objectives and processes to meet project requirements.
- Assist in project closeout including turnover to end user/operations and disposition of documents and records.
- Lead constructability review and makes necessary corrections on assigned work prior to delivery to procurement for pricing. Include stakeholders in the constructability review process.
- Coordinate work stream teams utilized within the project and ensure information communicated between those teams.
- Work with all technical groups to ensure alignment of schedules, logistics, and budget for the successful technical startup.
- Facilitate the open exchange of information, and skillfully negotiates solutions with the customer, staff, subcontractors, and other agencies.
- Facilitate and present for a decision technical solutions and conflict resolutions related to contract drawings and specification information
- Prepare Pre-negotiation Objectives for review and approval, and cost estimates and cost analysis of planned work, change orders, or contractor claims.
- Track and report project cost, change control, and contingency draw-down.
- Ensure compliance with building codes and environmental regulations.
- Prepare monthly and interim project status reports for ongoing projects in a prescribed format
Qualifications We Require:
- Bachelors in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field or equivalent education and experience.
- At least ten years increasingly responsible professional (not academic) experience solving construction/industrial problems.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of major construction projects greater than $20M
- Experience with DOE project management system requirements and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects using an Earned Valued Management System (EVMS).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of construction and industrial safety/environmental practices.
- Comprehensive understanding of effective project management practices and principles and demonstrates proficiency in applying a disciplined approach to project management.
- Demonstrated competency in the areas of estimating, scheduling, budgeting/cost control, field supervision, financial reporting, client relationship, interpersonal skills, computer skills, safety/insurance, ability to communicate, both written and oral.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations and customer groups, including employees in a wide array of occupation and educational backgrounds and to facilitate and lead meetings and work groups in a team environment.
- Ability to give effective presentations to critical/high level customers and effectively represent work group on review panels and cross-organizational teams.
- Ability to formulate and manage plans, project scopes, project budget estimates, and business case presentations.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to execute multiple parallel projects with clear expectations and timelines.
- Attention to detail with excellent record-keeping skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communications, time management, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of applicable federal worker health and safety laws, regulations, executive orders and DOE orders related to fire protection, loss prevention, and life safety.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to identify and resolve complex problems and make recommendations to management.
- Computer skills with schedule and estimating programs, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Qualifications We Desire:
- PE/Architect registration is preferred.
- Past experience at DOE Labs and/or managing DOE 413.3b projects is preferred.
- Past experience as an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) Control Account Manager is preferred
- Advanced degree in related field preferred
- Project Management Professional Certification preferred (required within 9 months of employment)
- OSHA 30 Certification is preferred (required within 6 months of employment)
About Jefferson Lab
Join a community with a common purpose of solving the most challenging scientific and engineering problems of our time. The Jefferson Lab campus is located in southeastern Virginia amidst a vibrant and growing technology community.
A career at Jefferson Lab is more than a job. You will be part of “big science” and work alongside top scientists and engineers from around the world unlocking the secrets of our visible universe. Managed by Jefferson Science Associates, LLC; Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility is entering an exciting period of mission growth and is seeking new team members ready to apply their skills and passion to have an impact. You could call it work, or you could call it a mission. We call it a challenge. We do things that will change the world.
Total Rewards at Jefferson Lab
At Jefferson Lab, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (Paid Parental, vacation, holidays, and sick leave)
- 401(k) Plan – 9% Lab Contribution; 100% vested
- Flexible Work Arrangements (Remote & Alternate Work Schedules available)
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Live near the waterways of the Chesapeake Bay region with access to nearby beaches, mountains, and all major metropolitan centers on the East Coast
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to employment @ jlab.org or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity. Generally, such programs/activities include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States. This includes positions or appointments, both domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.