Come join our team at Jefferson Lab, where great minds matter.
Posting Date: 09/19/23
Salary Range: $85,500 - $135,300 (SE-II)
Work Location Type: Hybrid (combination of on and off-site work)
What your job will be like:
Working under general supervision, you will be responsible for broad range of duties in accomplishing the design and modification of various facility structural/civil engineering systems. You will help manage new construction and maintenance projects as assigned. You will serve as a construction manager for a broad spectrum of engineering projects responsible for project execution, contract administration, safety, schedule adherence and closeout. Provides structural/civil engineering support in the development of requirements for capital projects including conceptual project development, preliminary and full designs and cost estimates.
The work is performed at Jefferson Lab, a world-leading nuclear physics research facility sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy. The existing campus extends across a 169-acre site and includes 72 buildings and trailers consisting of 948,000 square feet of office, technical, and storage space.
In this role, you will:
Perform functions as a Structural/Civil Engineer to include:
- Develop plans and specifications for civil engineering systems during building renovations, new building designs and independent projects. Civil Engineering systems include site potable water, sewer and storm water, pavement, foundations, retaining walls, excavation, earth berms, material handling systems (cranes and trolleys attached to buildings) and site irrigation. Structural engineering support within Civil Engineering systems is preferred.
- Prepare Scope of Work documents, design estimates and technical support fees and provide contract oversight of Architect-Engineer (A/E) service resources to perform engineering designs and studies and produce construction documents.
- Provide structural/civil engineering support in the development of requirements for capital projects including conceptual project development, preliminary and full designs and cost estimates.
- Provide structural engineering support in reviewing projects and/or designs that are originated by other divisions at Jefferson Lab.
- Align design efforts to ensure system configuration control is maintained.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert, through experience with many civil engineering systems, in multiple sub systems in areas of specialization. Structural engineering emphasis is preferred.
- Assists in the execution of civil engineering system Condition Assessments.
- Respond, as needed, after normal work hours for civil engineering system interruption that requires design expertise. The response may include an on-site presence or an ability to accept on-call duties.
Perform functions as a Construction Manager to include:
- Serve as Project Manager/Technical Representative (TR) for a broad spectrum of facility construction projects responsible for subcontract administration, progress meetings, schedule updates, subcontractor change order and payment processes, project closeout and recommends projects for final acceptance.
- Prepares status reports for ongoing projects in a prescribed format.
- Prepares and tracks construction progress using project scheduling software.
- Manages A-E and in-house staff quality assurance efforts.
- Works with all technical groups to ensure alignment of schedules, logistics, and budget for the successful technical startup of physics experimentation.
- Assist with the coordination of utility shutdowns and be familiar with building and user systems affected by utility shutdowns.
- Monitors contractor performance and identifies opportunities to improve quality and lower cost.
- Review construction safety plans and activity hazard analysis.
- Manages construction site safety oversight.
- Provide technical solutions and conflict resolutions related to contract drawings and specification information
- Assist other construction project managers when evaluating construction and engineering contract change requests
Qualifications We Require:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- 4 years relevant experience
- Engineer-In-Training (EIC) certification required; *(PE registration in Virginia is preferred)
- Understanding of effective project management practices and principles and demonstrates proficiency in applying a disciplined approach to project management.
- Experience in the management of major construction projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations and customer groups, including employees in a wide array of occupation and educational backgrounds and to facilitate and lead meetings and work groups in a team environment.
- Knowledge of construction and industrial safety/environmental practices.
- Display high level of initiative and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with clear expectations and timelines.
- Able to give effective presentations to critical/high level customers and effectively represent work group on review panels and cross-organizational teams.
- Able to write clear proposals and reports with all necessary backup material for external consumption.
- Ability to present and express ideas and information clearly and in a manner appropriate for the audience, facilitate the open exchange of information, and skillfully negotiates solutions with the customer, staff, subcontractors, and other agencies.
About Jefferson Lab
Join a community with a common purpose of solving the most challenging scientific and engineering problems of our time. The Jefferson Lab campus is located in southeastern Virginia amidst a vibrant and growing technology community.
A career at Jefferson Lab is more than a job. You will be part of “big science” and work alongside top scientists and engineers from around the world unlocking the secrets of our visible universe. Managed by Jefferson Science Associates, LLC; Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility is entering an exciting period of mission growth and is seeking new team members ready to apply their skills and passion to have an impact. You could call it work, or you could call it a mission. We call it a challenge. We do things that will change the world.
Total Rewards at Jefferson Lab
At Jefferson Lab, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (Paid Parental, vacation, holidays, and sick leave)
- 401(k) Plan – 9% Lab Contribution; 100% vested
- Flexible Work Arrangements (Remote & Alternate Work Schedules available)
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Live near the waterways of the Chesapeake Bay region with access to nearby beaches, mountains, and all major metropolitan centers on the East Coast
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the JSA’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to employment @ jlab.org or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time during your employment you are participating in a Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity. Generally, such programs/activities include any foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific research through programs run or funded by the government that target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the United States. This includes positions or appointments, both domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.